* expiredrpgs > Topics

Subject: Sea of Stars (NSW)
Replies: 27 Views: 1170

warded 12.02.23 - 11:00pm
Planned Releasedate: 08/2023 redalert.GIF Demo available. *

warded 26.03.23 - 02:34pm
29.08.2023 *

warded 27.01.24 - 04:09pm
Physical release in west announced for May 2024. UPDATE: 10.05.2024 available on Nintendo Switch, Sony Playstation 4 and 5, Microsoft Xbox One and Series X *

warded 31.01.24 - 08:40pm
Tried ordering the japanese physical a while back... Now it shows new shipment @ 07.02.2024 waiting.GIF *

warded 7.02.24 - 01:48pm
Got it. The case(s) are covered with moonrunes. Also came with 2CD soundtrack + a couple stickers. // Moby ID: 216133 *

warded 8.02.24 - 06:24pm
You do NOT get exp from ''summoned'' enemies... I wasted like twenty bruiser ants and got NOTHING in return. doh3.GIF *

warded 8.02.24 - 06:26pm
The game is kinda hard, kinda. AND there are bullsheet moments like in the previous comment. I've probably made some noob mistakes with the level up choices too (you get to choose bonus stats like in super mario rpg). EDIT: You seem to need both MP and HP the most (!) *

warded 9.02.24 - 12:59pm
The game pays homage to various titles including Chrono Trigger, Golden Sun, Breath of Fire, Super Mario RPG, Phantasy Star among others. With a hint of Prince of Persia and Tomb Raider. *

warded 10.02.24 - 10:01pm
I probably should take some notes.

... no, too lazy ha ha sleeping.GIF EDIT: Actually HAD to take some notes lol *

warded 11.02.24 - 02:48pm
Close to getting a ship i believe. Currently 12h in. EDIT: Yes, got the boat. *

warded 12.02.24 - 11:11pm
Level up bonus priority order:

1. Mana/Magic Points (Very much needed)

2. Hit/Health Points (Much needed too)

3. Magic Attack (if neither above are available)

4. ??? (Maybe Defense or something then) *

warded 12.02.24 - 11:19pm
Often times when a boss fight is just starting to get good, the boss dies lol

They do have fair amounts of HP, but could use even more imho *

warded 14.02.24 - 12:10pm
10 Food items limit i can deal with... BUT you can only hold 999 Gold !? wtf.GIF Also battles do not give gold. Gold is acquired by finding directly in chests, by selling gems or by selling food. The last is the only ''grindable'' way, so instead of fighting you need to collect food/ingredients by repeating areas or something... *

warded 14.02.24 - 12:25pm
Also the level system is different (''unique'' even). Levels are shared instead of having individual levels per character. This can be a good thing too, because being knocked out by the end of a battle doesn't make you lose/not get exp. Everybody gets it as long as you win, even with one character at 1HP left.

Grinding is best done near a Campfire and a Save Point. Fight a few battles, camp/rest, save, pause and select return to title, in main menu hit continue, fight the battles again and repeat. *

warded 15.02.24 - 05:42pm
31h in and i still have NOT gotten the ability to fly on the map(s). EDIT: Got it, was one boss fight away from the ability to fly, *

warded 16.02.24 - 02:09am
Clear fit.GIF

Did not even get half of the conches etc. Did unlock New Game + too *

warded 16.02.24 - 01:45pm
End credits take forever because they list kickstarter backers. EDIT: There's speed up and ultra speed up. *

warded 24.02.24 - 08:40pm
talkshow.GIF Watched some reviews on Youtube and they pointed out the same stuff too, especially the similarities with Golden Sun. clap2.GIF *

warded 24.02.24 - 08:44pm
Also you don't actually need that much gold in the end. There is a point where something cost like 800 gold though. I also used food items very rarely because i thought i needed them all for selling. *

warded 24.02.24 - 11:16pm
My review:

Game version: Nintendo Switch
Difficulty: Moderate to High
Graphics: 8.9/10
Gameplay: 9.0/10
Audio: 8.5/10
Story: 8.8/10
Length: Around 30 hours
Replay value: Low (New Game + exists)

Reminder; i mentioned that if i give 9 or higher to anything it pretty much means 10/10 on average person's reviews... I'm far stricter than an average Joe.

Also the audio lacks solid ''bangers''. It is very good, but not enough... For example the game they take after like Chrono Trigger has noticeably higher count of GOOD tracks. Sea of Stars does not reach that level of audio quality. Even WITH a guest composer that has had a nice catalogue of compositions in the past.

Battle system is fairly tight and does not favor spamming attack button alone. The battle difficulty most certainly is higher than what one could call Medium difficulty and Super Mario RPG-like timed attacks and defenses are fairly necessary.

Spoiler (i guess) : You get the flight ability at the end of the game which means you mainly travel on boat once you get it.

The game length includes a few hours of grinding so it is somewhere between 25 to 35 hours of solid gameplay. I only grinded to 3 levels higher than average person because grinding isn't that necessary in this game. PROTIP: Always Invest in MP first and HP second when leveling up.

The game does seem to have a some amount of post-game content, but the replay value is low because once seems to be enough to see everything. There is probably a true or a better ending in the game (i got a ''The End?'')

Also not a dealbreaker, but there were noticeable loading times at least in the Nintendo Switch version. I do not recall seeing much slowdowns, stuttering or frame dropping etc. (because the game loaded more stuff at once? hence the loading times?)

The graphics do their job and there are lots of nice little touches here and there. In fact they put more effort into them than one would even notice.

Also the overall positivity of the Warrior Cook is pretty positive. I will not talk more of the story.

Review was written on a NEW NINTENDO 2DS XL and in random order so it may seem a bit dis-jointed. *

warded 24.02.24 - 11:19pm
Actually some of the battle/boss BGMs are good + memorable. music2.GIF *

warded 24.02.24 - 11:40pm
Buyer's remorse came and went multiple times during the game, but overall it was worth buying... even the somewhat pricey Japanese Physical Edition for which i paid 67.90EUR -new- . The upcoming western physical is somewhere around 37.90EUR (you get to wait THREE more MONTHS for it though as it is scheduled for May 10th) *

warded 24.02.24 - 11:57pm
The digital NSW version is 33.99EUR which is a tad high especially when the physical is going to be 37.90EUR ... Though only in May 2024. *

warded 25.02.24 - 12:16am
Also how i ended up with this game you ask?

One day in January 2024, i was minding my own business scrolling through ''recent nintendo switch additions'' section on my local game store's websight and there it was, Sea of Stars (import). I remembered that this game was on my buy someday maybe -list so i went for it. And in the end i'm glad i did. *

warded 1.03.24 - 10:22pm
read.GIF Read somewhere that only five of a level up perk can be picked per character. Still it is highly recommended you pick MP first, then HP and then whatever you feel like. *

warded 17.03.24 - 08:46pm
Single Player+ mode coming some day. Basically a 3-player couch co-op. *

warded 17.03.24 - 08:55pm
I never actually played the demo version. Had it installed from day-1, but did not touch it. *

warded 18.04.24 - 11:44pm
10.05.2024 (same time as eiyuden chronicle hundred heroes.) *

* expiredrpgs Forum

Search:
topics replies

* expiredrpgs

Create Your Own App Store

topTop
groupsGroups
mainProdigits

Custom Search

Create Your Own App Store